Navigation

I have no left brain!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

...Ok, I kid I kid.... So, maybe I do have a left side of my brain. But- I only think with my right side... Let me explain.



(Found image via www.Pinterest.com)

{Left Brain}
I am the left brain. I am a scientist. A mathematician. I love the familiar. I categorize. I am accurate. Linear. Analytical. Strategic. I am practical. Always in control. A master of words and language. Realistic. I calculate equations and play with numbers. I am order. I am logic. I know exactly who I am.

{Right Brain}
I am the right brain. I am creativity. A free spirit. I am passion. Yearning, Sensuality. I am the sound of roaring laughter. I am taste. The feeling of sand between bare feet. I am movement. Vivid colors. I am the urge to paint on an empty canvas. I am boundless imagination. Art. Poetry. I sense. I feel. I am everything I wanted to be.


I started my business a couple years ago... and I always thought to myself "I can do EVERYTHING!" By everything I mean the business side, finances, photography, editing, taxes, the business side, and finances. ;)
Well, to make this short and sweet.... I was wrong. WAY wrong.
It was scary to drop my job, and go into something that I am passionate about full time. I mean, every single little 'what-if's' come into your mind... 'what if I fail....' 'what if I am actually really bad....' 'what if.... what if.... what if.....' But I jumped, and I was confident, and honestly felt like I could do every task that a business does. I mean, I am a one-woman show, right? It's not like I am taking on LOTS of work, right? WRONG!! I've been doing tons and tons of research and came across this photo about a year ago. I read it and it occurred to me....
  1. I hate math.
  2. I hate equations.
  3. I am NOT good with numbers.
Hmm... So, obviously I should NOT be handling the business financial side to my business. But I still did. Honestly, I lived the 'struggling artist world'. I lived it because,
  1. I could survive.
  2. I love what I did/do.
So that went on for awhile (year or so)...... until I met Zack at the beginning of this year. He graduated from the University of Idaho with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering...  (does that career choice scream LEFT brain or what!?) Anyway, Zack and I started dating. He is truly a blessing that has entered into my life...(but that's a different story.) Zack and I always brain storm about my business, and what I can do to better it, expand it, etc. etc. etc. Well, one day he asked me about my finances, and what I do with the business money, paychecks to myself, taxes, etc... When I explained to him what I did, his jaw seriously touched the floor. I'm not even exaggerating. (now, this is pretty embarrassing to talk about as to I can't really deal with all that financial stuff myself, I mean.. I try, and I CAN. But, I am not saving as much to expand my business, etc.)

I am a Right Brain.

Zack spent the next week or so building an Excel spreadsheet for me to input every single little thing I do into. It makes business graphs, calculates cash flow, and then spits out numbers that tell me what I owe myself in a paycheck in that month and MORE! (he is pretty amazing.)

The moral of this blog post is, well.. two things.
  1. If you can't do it, that's FINE- someone else can!
  2. I am a right brain.
Anyway, I've had a couple people ask me lately about how I started my business, and the business side of it. I just wanted to create this blog for them & anyone else to figure out what side of the brain YOU are. Just know, if you can't do it (like me) OUTSOURCE (Or, talk to ZACK! He'd gladly help.) You don't have to, and it's probably better that you don't. haha. :)



2 comments:

  1. I think I"m a bit of both..... I like certain things a certain way but sometimes I don't care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I wish I was both... I thought I was but had to find out the hard way I was NOT. Lol!

      Delete